[A/S] Re:The Grounding Thing

> So is there anything to this grounding thing?  If so would
> it work for a trailer.  I've never even considered
> grounding an issue.

I don't think it really is an issue for most vehicles.  Some seem to shock
more than others.  Yes grounding straps would work for a trailer.

> Are those stringy things that are on the back of some
> motorhomes for grounding?  They look like shredded mud
> flaps all the way accross the back of the motorhome.  I've
> always wondered what they were for because they don't look
> like they would be very effective in stopping anything.

No, those are exactly what they look like.  They are dust and dirt flaps so
to speak.  Yes they do work at what they were designed for.  They are to
keep sand and dirt from blasting the paint of whatever is being towed.  They
also work for wet situations.

The ground straps are about one inch wide (sometimes more and sometimes
round) and attach to the rear underside of the vehicle or bumper, and drag
on the ground.  When travelling, they lift due to the wind, and when you
stop, they touch down again and drain off the static.  They work very well
in climates such as the midwest in summer, where it is hot and dry.  They
are not, however for electrical grounding.  They are purely for static
grounding.  Please do not take this posting as an advertisement for these
grounding straps, as I have never personnally owned one, and have never felt
the need of one.  A little 'crack' when touching a vehicle is no worse than
the one I get in my home in summer when the Air Conditioning removes all the
humidity.

Tom
Canada