[A/S] Furnace Puzzle

Hello again,

When I finally got the new gas valve hooked up I started working on
getting gas appliances working.

When I first hooked up the furnace, bled the air from the gas lines, I
lit the pilot and it actually stayed lit. The thermostat worked and
the furnace cranked up and ran well. After I turned it off the fan
stayed running, I presume to cool the fire chamber. I noticed that the
fan ran intermittantly when I wiggled some of the wires while
preparing to put the front of the furnace back on. It would make a
clicking sound like a switch(clickety-click, clicket-click)trying to
cycle up. When I held the wires just right the blower fan would stay
on. So I decided to re do the connections. One big red wire. One big
white wire. Two smaller gray wires, look kind of like an extension
cord of some sort. In fact the gray ones were fused together like an
extension cord and could be separated to gain more access to the ends.
The PO had wired a 4 prong trailer connector in to allow a quick
disconnect. Way too much extra wire. I labeled each connection to be
sure to hook it back right. I made new connections. Cleaned up the
mess. Strangely enough on the next try the fan does not run, nor does
the burner light. Pilot still works. Sounds like the "real" short
circuit was up inside the furnace and my attempts to fix it actually
just did away with the intermittant quality of the problem.

From this description, does anyone have an idea of which switch, which
connection or what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance, bill b.
'69 Airstream, Sovereign