Re: [A/S] Opinion wanted on best truck to use

 From our experience with both diesel and gas engine tow vehicles, there
is no question about a diesel's superior fuel mileage. As far as life
of the a diesel engine goes, that feature is yet to be verified by
personal experience.

 From day one, our Ford Van E-250 was used exclusively for towing and
the gas engine (460 CID) lasted for 320,000 miles before I replaced it
three years ago. I believe my intensive maintenance schedule paid off.
We still use the Van for towing our 32' Airstream and it continues to
be a formidable tow vehicle.

Incidentally, when I had the transmission (C-6) serviced last year, the
shop volunteered to convert it from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton transmission.
The only difference I've noticed is firmer shift points. I have not yet
challenged the transmission by again towing our 32' Airstream over the
Continental Divide between Cuidad Victoria and San Luis Potosi in
Mexico.

As for our diesel engine ('87 Suburban), it has been used for both
towing our 22' Safari and as a local daily driver. I really enjoy
driving it around town and getting 20+ mpg. It has only 180,000 miles
on it and is now running the best it has ever run in its entire
existence. I attribute that to our current mechanic who freely consults
the Owner and Chief Mechanic (ostensibly my brother-in-law) of a Fuel
Injection Performance Shop which builds and races small and big trucks
using diesel engines with high volume turbochargers.

The transmission in our Suburban is a 700R4 which is not upgradeable or
interchangeable with a more capable transmission. I had it rebuilt once
in Wyoming after a long and difficult climb over the Continental Divide
between Riverton and Rock Springs while towing our Safari. Fortunately,
it didn't leave me stranded, but it was obviously damaged and limping.
Since the rebuild, it has performed flawlessly and capably.

As for oil changes (LOF), this particular diesel (6.2L) has cost
between $20-25 anywhere in the country when we've had it done.
Obviously, the 6.2L diesel is not the ultimate in diesel engines.
Nevertheless, it does have  torque up the gazzoo at lower speeds. Newer
diesels have plenty of torque at all speeds.

Would I buy another diesel? In a heartbeat, especially if it was a
Suburban 2500 - 2 wheel drive with HD towing package AND if it was from
an original owner who was compulsive about maintenance with records to
verify it AND if he never drove it over salty roads. That's not too
much to ask, is it?    <grin>   I'd prefer midnight blue and the
ashtrays never used. May as well look for the whole nine yards while
I'm at it.

Terry

1978 Ford Van E-250 w/460 V8 & factory tow package, plus after-market
performance enhancements.

1975 Mercury Station Wagon w/460 V8 & factory tow package, plus
after-market performance enhancements.

1987 GMC Suburban w/6.2L diesel V8 & factory tow package.