[A/S] Battery Maintenance

Hi Max,

As full timers, we replaced our marine batteries in July 2005 for
second time in 16 years.  When we traded trailers a few years back, we
kept our old batteries figuring their history was known. The batteries
in the "new to us" Airstream were NOT a matched pair and therefore
"suspect."

Also, I found that marine batteries purchased in towns beside big lakes
with a concentration of fisherman have worked better for me than those
purchased at inland stores.

Over the years, we occasionally use FHU sites - generally while
attending Airstream rallies or when inadvertently surprised by freezing
weather. The rest of the time we're off grid. Four 75 watt solar panels
keep both sealed batteries charged. An inverter is used for strictly
110 volt appliances.

According to our "solar guard" gauge, the batteries are almost always
at or above 13.75 volts by mid morning. On mornings after we had
retired early the previous night, the reading is higher - usually
13.90+. I've not seen the gauge higher than 14.00 volts and not lower
than 12.25 volts, except once after playing Mexican Train Dominoes with
friends late into the night on BLM land at Quartzite.

I don't know the exact reading to indicate when batteries are being
overcharged, but I doubt our batteries would have lasted this long had
that occurred. Someone on this list will have that data readily
available.

Max, you might want to install a digital meter and know what's going on
with your batteries. Or not. Not everyone has a need to know such
things. We have friends with a cavalier attitude toward their batteries
and they enjoy the full timers lifestyle with gusto.

Terry
'89 32' Excella - 4 solar panels with solar guard and inverter
'67 22' Safari - 2 solar panels with solar guard and inverter
'63 22' Flying Cloud - refurbishing in progress