Re: [A/S] 12-volt outlet in truck

> I just talked to one of our electrical guru's here at
> work.  He noted that a 200 watt inverter is a pretty
> healthy unit to power a laptop.

That depends on the laptop. Some of the desktop-replacement laptops have
a hefty current draw when used on AC line power. Most aren't 200 watts
though. And it depends on how far the designer of the inverter stretched
the truth about it's actual ratings.

> Some cigarette
> lighters are fused as low as 8 amps.

Not any I have ever seen. Lighters are usually fused at 25 amperes. The
lighter current draw is usually in the 15 to 20 ampere range. A
power-tap outlet may be fused lower, but I doubt it.

Do pull the lighter fuse and inspect it for heat damage and other types
of partial failure, but a simple lighter test after that with the
cigarette lighter element will tell you if the socket can supply power.
Give it the "glow" test.

> Dependent upon
> the type of inverter you have and the amperage draw,
> your inverter may be producting a full 200 watts even
> though your PC requires less.  In that case the
> inverter will be pulling full amperage, and if its in
> excess of 8, that fuse will fail.

This is completely incorrect information. The inverter current draw will
be proportional to the load current being drawn from it plus the losses
associated with the inversion process. In no case will it draw the full
rated current with a lighter load. (Unless, of course, it has
electrically failed.)

Using an inverter that again feeds a laptop AC line power adapter is an
inefficient way to achieve laptop DC powering.

Use the proper DC power adapter for your model laptop if possible. As
was discussed in earlier posts and by others, this may be as simple as a
special fused DC plug, or a fused DC plug with additional noise and
surge/spike filtering, or a voltage regulated (and possibly a built-in
inverter as ThinkPads use) DC-to-DC converter to supply the proper
laptop operating voltage. Regardless of the actual circuitry needed to
power the laptop on 12 volts DC, you can be assured that you are using
the appropriate device when you purchase the unit designed by your
laptop's manufacturer.

My advice is to go that route and avoid separate inverters. Inverters
can be an acceptable method to power laptops on 12 volts DC, but they
are almost always less efficient than the manufacturer's solution. Also
keep in mind that the quality of inverters varies, as does the design.
Some produce square wave output, most produce a stepped-wave quasi-sine
wave output that can be acceptable depending on the device, some use
more sophisticated methods to produce relatively clean power. All of
these types of clean-power inverters are far more expensive than the
simple manufacturer's DC power adapter for the laptop, and still do a
double power conversion (this wasteful double-conversion isn't usually
an issue on DC power in a moving vehicle, but is when stationary and
using battery power alone.) And the inverter you may be using is
probably not of this design class.

I suspect your inverter is the culprit if the cigarette lighter works in
the socket and "lights up" cherry orange. It may be an inexpensive
design and be unsuited for your use.

As an engineer, I'd recommend getting the DC power adapter for the
laptop and being done with it, after verifying that the lighter socket
works by the "glow" test above.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060