[A/S] Re: tow vehicle wants to drift at times when hitched

Greetings Jack!

I can think of a number of possibilities and one of them was
mentioned by Craig in his post -- tires on the tow vehicle.  Both
load range and type came to mind for me -- LT tires of the standard
profile corrected much (but not all) of a similar problem that I had
with my K1500 Z-71 pickup when it was mated to my '64 Overlander.  I
switched from the stock GoodYear Wranglers to GoodYear Workhorse LT
Radials, and the difference was remarkable both in tracking as well
as in improved ride of the truck when solo.

The second issue that I suspect may be causing part of your trouble
is what has been referred to as "over-hitching".  With the stiff
suspension that I suspect is virtually standard on the Avalanche,
you may need a different set of weight distributing bars
particularly if you have a Reese Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam
Sway Control.  With my previously mentioned Z-71/Overlander
combination, I down-graded from 800 pound weight distribution bars
to 600 pound weight distribution bars for my coach with its 775
pound gross hitch weight.  Hitch adjustment can also play some role
in this problem as the hitch head angle was also adjusted very
slightly when the weight distribution bars were changed.

It was the combination of the revised weight distribution bars and
the tire change on the tow vehicle that solved the vast majority of
the tracking issues when towing my Overlander with the K1500 Z-71.
My final solution to the problem was upgrading to a K2500 Suburban.

Good luck in resolving your rigs wandering issue!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)