[A/S] daily travel distances

Claudette,

Dean's way is also our way. Like his family, my wife and I play it by
ear when we're destination traveling (marathoning, i.e. 1,000 miles or
more).

At the first hint of me being less that 100% mentally and physically
alert, a 10 minute nap and a little stretching refreshes both of us.
Years ago, we used a simple kitchen timer to stay within the 10 minute
mark, but eventually the portion of our brains which controls nap time
got the message and we no longer need the timer. The majority of the
time, both of us are wide eyed and bushy tailed after 9 minutes.

If the next rest area has a place to park in the shade or if the
weather has turned sour and rain is coming down in buckets, we consider
taking a break especially if we haven't had one in a couple of hours.
The name of the game is always the same. Stay sharp and drive smart.

Everyone has their favorite topics to think about when hauling a long
distance. One of mine is to keep track of the five vehicles immediately
behind us. For whatever the reason, there's a bit of satisfaction at
finding out if my prediction is correct - for which vehicle will pass
us next.

When we're NOT marathoning, our driving days are typically less than
four hours and generally around 150 to 200 miles. Stops for refueling
or snacks also include an intentional change of pace in our thinking.

For me, I like to identify several choices along our route for an
overnight stop - in case the unexpected occurs - and then be able to
recognize the "get off" roads when we pass them.  Sandie likes to do
email with our cell phone when traffic is light or talk with our kids
during those pre-agreed times when she knows they'll be at home.

Claudette, your question was: "How far do folks generally tow a day?"
The answer varies for all of us. The bottom line is - do what feels
right for you. And, if you've done your homework about what's available
along the route, there's no pressure to "push on through" when surprise
snags occur.

Keep it simple and daily travel distance will take care of itself,

Terry
WBCCI 6477
'89 32' Excella
'78 Ford E-250