Re: [A/S] Axle question

Steve.

Mor-Ryde had more trobles than they could handle.

They did not tell the owners that you "MUST" finely balance the
running gear, "OR ELSE".

Their original system caused considerable damage to thousands of
trailers in the late 60's. I happened to repair over 50 of them, and
then balanced the running gear, which solved the problem.

Likewise, you are comparing a 40 plus year old axle from Henschen to
others that are made today. The axle failures from 1961 to 1974 are
caused by the rubber rods failing because of the composition. That
doesn't happen anymore.

Having a personal interest in this is secondary.

I chose to have the record be as straight and correct as possible.

Airstream has done the research on the axles. If others think
someone's product is better than Airstream choices, then so be it.

Airstream has a very hard rule about quality. They always seek the
maximum that they can. If others axles were superior, they would
change. They have not changed because they cannot justify a cheaper
axle, regardless of claimed performance. If someone wishes to do
different, that certainly is their choice.

Quality has always been Airstreams claim to fame, not quantity. The
age of the older trailers, speak for itself.

We have an Airstream in our shop that is 70 years old. Still in great
condition, which only confirms Airstreams quality in their product
and the components they use.

We all to often, in our shop, see the results of someone's tinkering
with Airstream designs and choices of components, because they
thought they could save a few dollars, or could upgrade without
appropriate research, axles included, only to then inform the
customer of the bad news.

Keeping an Airstream, an Airstream, is always the smart move. Owners
that chose to do otherwise, usually, but not always, find that they
should have listened.

Andy
Inland RV Center, Inc.