Re: [A/S] Suburban/"Lockup"

It is my understanding that there is a very good reason
for crossing the safety chains

After forty five years (or more) of towing trailers
from small utility trailers to triple axle equipment
trailers as well as airstream and several horse trailers,
there is a very simple reason for crossing the chains.

When the chains are hooked up uncrossed, I.E. straight,
it is very easy to set them too short and breaking
something, usually the hitch as when making a corner,
the chain attaching points move further apart.

When the chains are crossed under and near the pivot
point, (ball and coupler), as the trailer and tow
vehicle move at angles to each other when negotiating
a corner, usually the distance between the chain
connecting point on the trailer and the tow vehicle
become closer to each other instead of further apart
and with the chains crossed, they loosen and sag slightly
instead of becoming tight and binding and possibly breaking
something, usually the hitch.

It is my understanding this is why most states require that
the safety chains be crossed...

--
Mitch Hill - K1FH
WBCCI 21960