RE: Towing with a Crown Vic was[A/S] On the brink of buying a new Safari

FYI: Transmission coolers are less important with modern cars/trucks that
use transmission torque converters that lock up at highway speeds.

I don't know what year they started installing the lock up systems, but
cars that have them don't need that additional tranny fluid cooling as long
as they are locked (typically, at highway cruising speeds)

The older system heated the fluid due to the power loss that occurred as
the converter "slipped". Lots of horses could be lost in (and lots of BTUs
added to) the transmission fluid in this process.

I think most sedans lock up as low as 35 - 37. My '97 Dodge 2500 locked up
around 40. My present Dodge 3500 Diesel with a 4.1 rear end won't lock up
until around 45.

In slow city driving, or driving slowly up mountains, YOU NEED EXTRA
COOLING. But once at cruising speed on the interstate, it is less necessary.

Jerry 4404