RE: [A/S] Single Axel?

Hi, Oliver:

         I have experienced a flat on my (past) 1972 23' Safari, single
axle.  There was no disaster, other than some damage to the underside of
the wheel well that Jackson Center was able to fix easily.
         I have also experienced two flat tires (same trip) in my current
trailer, a 1995 Excella, 29'', dual axle  The first flat did no damage at
all that I could see, and there was no noticeable drag or other effect;
another driver noticed it and signaled to us, and we fixed it and replaced
the tire.
         The second flat was more serious.  It was on the same side as the
first one, the other tire.  We noticed it because it tore up the wheel well
and destroyed the tube leading to our freshwater tank, which unravelled
(it's a plastic tube with wire reinforcing) behind the trailer, where my
wife, who was driving, noticed it.  This damage took several days to repair
at Walt's RV, and cost around $700.
         The damage to the trailers from these flats has nothing to do, of
course, with the driving characteristics of the trailers under flat-tire
conditions.  I definitely noticed the flat on the single-axle trailer, but
no steering problems, just some drag.  With the double-trailer, there was
no drag or anything.  One can argue whether this is a good or a bad
thing...maybe some drag would have told us sooner about the flat.

- Dick
(5368)