[A/S] Atwood Hot Water Heater

Hey Y'All;

Anybody know from hot water heaters?  Here is my problem.  The first
time this year I turned on my Atwood (mid seventies) it flamed up and
seemed to be working.  Then the flame died down and started to burn
only inside the feed tube from the control box.  This makes this 1/2"
tube very hot (as my thumb found out before I saw it was burning in
this tube) but it does not heat water.  The pilot remains on, and
every so often it will go 'pop' and relight the little flame inside
the tube, but it does not give me my flame thrower to heat the water.
Anybody know what is wrong - Jim Smith - anybody?  Thanks

Tom