[A/S] Towing capacity

Hi Colin,

Yes, I remember encouraging you to buy your Suburban - especially after
you told me the mileage and it was a military 3/4 ton. My 1987 Suburban
is a standard 1/2 ton which has GM's least capable transmission. I've
been told the transmission can't be upgraded and it's prone to problems
when used for hard towing in Western mountains. If you have different
data, please rattle my cage.

I'm hesitant to buy and install a 3/4 ton transmission AND a Banks
turbo. I'm not even sure the 3/4 ton transmission will fit. It could
probably be made to fit, but that would mean adding more funds to a
vehicle that runs very well solo and is adequate (just adequate) for
towing one of our 22' Airstreams.

It's probably wiser for me to stay with the Suburban as is. There is
sufficient power (6.2L is somewhat akin to halfway between 350 and 400
V8 cubic inch displacement); it's economical for solo use as a daily
driver (23 mpg); the length is more than adequate for comfort and
stability while towing; and the weight is sufficient for handling our
'67 22' Safari with its Reese hitch and dual cam sway controls.

Granted when towing, I pick and choose which roads to travel (not the
70 mph mountain roads) and am always mindful of the flow. And yes, I do
run the hills and mountain passes (Western states especially) whenever
the opportunity presents itself. I have to concede the Diesel engine is
impressive with torque galore in the 50 mph range and the truck is rock
solid in crosswinds or with 18 wheelers passing us.

On balance as it stands today, my gut feeling is the desirable features
are about equal to or greater than the undesirable features. Yet if I
could somehow rationalize spending a very large chunk of money on an
almost Vintage Suburban for (1) a stronger transmission and (2) a Banks
turbo, I'd look long and hard at the idea. I'd take you up on your
offer to do the work.

Thanks for prompting me to revisit this topic,

Terry