[A/S] towing with a jeep-trying again

Cathy,
Keep in mind what you are getting the vehicle for -- for towing.

Someone I know was towing a 22 ft. CCD with a Nissan Armada, which is a
beefed up Pathfinder.  While they had the combo, they said the tow
vehicle was adequate.  However, later they did complain to me about
having to replace the brakes quite early.  (They no longer have the set
up, traded it all in on a Winnebago, which they love.  Towing was not
fun, they decided.)

The vehicles you're considering now are basically half-ton vehicles.
Half-ton vehicles are not heavy duty vehicles -- even with a towing
package.  Towing puts a lot of stress on a vehicle's systems - brakes,
transmission, engine, suspension.  I'm no expert in this by any means,
but it seems many people feel towing is a "heavy-duty" task and buy
accordingly (i.e., full size 3/4 ton pickup, 3/4 ton SUV or 3/4 ton or 1
ton van).

Remember that manufacturers' "maximum towing capacity" data are wildly
optimistic!  If you read the fine print, you discover that yes, brand
XXX half-ton truck 'can' tow 7,000 pounds, assuming that you weigh less
than 150 pounds and you are carrying nothing heavier in the tow vehicle
than yourself and a box of kleenex!  (and probably only a few gallons of
gas, too!)

I considered a lot of SUVs and vans as possible tow vehicles when I was
trying to decide.  I didn't really want a pickup truck since I couldn't
put my dog crates inside the cab.  But after exhaustively visiting
dealerships, making at least half a dozen salesman crazy with my
questions and doing a lot of research, I ended up with a 3/4 ton truck,
crew cab.  I concluded a half ton vehicle was just not enough wheelbase
and tow capacity for anything I was considering (22', 25' and 28').

Also look at tongue weight -- many SUV's or half-ton trucks are limited
in maximum tongue weight.  I would have bought a full size van (more
suitable for dog showing and crates) but ended up rejecting that as an
option due to limits on maximum tongue weight capacity.

I love my truck -- I just wish I could put crates in the back seat,
otherwise it's perfect for the job.  I don't worry about the trailer
manhandling the truck when trucks go by, and I know my truck's heavy
duty brakes will help stop the trailer should my brake controller fail
or the trailer brakes quit on me.

Claudette &
Moby Dick (2005 GMC Sierra 4x4 Duramax crewcab) & 28' CCD