Re: [A/S] Yet Another Tow Vehicle Question - Chevy Duramax

> You'll take that third seat out of the Suburban and put it in the basement

I think your crystal ball is RIGHT ON.

The third-row seating makes the Suburban a GREAT people hauler.  Our school
district has taken to hauling small groups with a 1500 Suburban.

> The best part of having the Duramax for me over the Suburban is that I
> no longer worry about what I throw in the back! I was seriously banging up the
> sides of the Suburban with my grill, satellite dish, wood blocks, camping
> chairs, etc.

Our first pickup was a Chevy S10 extended cab w/cab-high topper.  No bed
liner, but a rubber bed MAT.  Except for wishing I had two more cylinders
(after getting the TT), it was a PERFECT setup.

We bought our 2002 Silverado about 45 days after 9/11 (I couldn't imagine
the financing rates going lower.  Man, was I *EVER* wrong! <sigh>).

We opted for the extended cab as opposed to four doors.  My reasoning was
that we would most likely haul only smaller grandchildren back there and
they could ASK to get out of the vehicle.

I call this setup a "poor wo/man's" Suburban offering the best of both
worlds:  Relative luxury up front w/seating for six (small folks in back,
please) and rough-and-tumble hauling out back.  Toss in muddy and wet
camping rugs, grills, genset, etc with no worry about upholstery.  I think
it's perfect.  It is for us, anyway.

If towing a travel trailer and NOT a fifthwheel, Hunter's setup is probably
as good as it gets:  Four, FULL-size doors and rugged rear storage in the
short box.

I you want maximum people and stuff hauling - and a LONG lashup - get four
doors and the LONG box.  I just LOVE a vehicle that occupies two TIME
ZONES!!

             :)
JR