[A/S] Older Tow Vehicles

I would like to add to Bill Kerfoot's comments.

In the 60's and 70's the design parameters for automobiles were a lot
different than they are today.  Gasoline was cheap, and engines were
becoming more powerful and fairly efficient (but nowhere near as
sophisticated or efficient as the computer controlled power trains of
today). Weight was not a primary parameter.  Bigger, heavier cars were
selling, so the engines were built bigger to propel them.  The body on frame
construction (vs. today's Unit body) allowed flexibility in size and
strength.  Station wagons had reinforced frames (for extra load capacity)
while convertibles and "hard top convertibles" required the same heavier
frame to provide body strength where the upper cross pieces were missing.
(This is why many car buffs claimed that convertibles rode or handled
(stayed on the road) better.  They were heavier and had a lower center of
gravity and a stiffer frame.

Today, cars are designed for maximum fuel economy (within their market
niche).  This has resulted in a design built to much closer tolerances with
far less overkill. Weight is minimized and with it surplus structural
strength - just strong enough to do the job. (Much like an aircraft design.)
Even today's SUVs tend to have little extra reserve except those built on a
truck chassis and with a tow vehicle heritage (like the Suburbans and their
ilk). Thus cars (and most SUVs) are now designed to carry 4, 5, or 6 (or
whatever the seating capacity) passengers and their luggage - period. If you
have heavier load requirements, buy a truck.

With the growth of the light truck (pickup) market (actually forced upon the
automakers by fuel economy and pollution laws) and the market acceptance of
this sort of vehicle, we now have very luxurious pickups (leather interiors,
comfortable seats, extended and crew cabs, short beds, bed covers and tops,
good sound proofing, etc.)  Ride has improved dramatically, especially in GM
models. Because of weight distribution and cargo bed weight capacity
requirements, pickups often have to compromise somewhat on ride comfort,
especially when lightly loaded. (But I am sure air suspension and
independent rear suspension are not far off.)

I am more disappointed in the increase in trailer weight in recent years.
Even Airstream has gone off the deep end in this regard, by erroneously (in
my opinion) taking advantage of the superior towing capacity of modern 3/4
ton pickups (instead of the inherent advantages of their aluminum frame and
skin construction and low slung torsion bar suspension). [Not unlike the
big, heavy cars of the 60's and 70's] For example, a current model 25 footer
is more than a thousand pounds heavier than its '70s counterpart. That is a
Half a Ton more weight to pull around! And the longer trailers are even
worse.  One doesn't need solid oak cabinets or particle board core panels,
which are heavy.  Fancy veneer could be applied to balsa wood or honeycomb
core panels (as in modern aircraft, where weight is critical). Light weight
materials can have a rich warmth. You don't have to go to the stark, in my
opinion, CCD design to reduce weight. [Please note that I am a real fan of
mid-century modern design. However, I think Mr. CCD does not really
understand the design philosophy of the modernist (50's) designers like
George Nelson, Charles Eames and Eero Saarinen, and their compatriots. Clean
and functional design is not synonymous with cold and sterile.)

Like it or not, we are now forced to use trucks to tow our Airstreams.  Even
so, the comfort level is pretty high, and the strength, safety, performance
and reliability are much better than the tow cars of yesteryear (even with
our heavier trailers).  The only problem is they burn more fuel.  Here
again, the modern diesel engines are remarkable in their power and fuel
economy.

Oliver Filippi