[A/S] Skin repair - TIG Welding

Hi, I've got '73 31' International Land Yacht with a couple of skin tears
(without dents) from previous owners. All of the aluminum is still there,
and the tears have been "gooped" closed with something that looks like Shoo
Goo. It works OK, but it won't look good if I polish the trailer.

The overall skin has some plasticoat remaining, but is oxidized in the other
places. I'm considering polishing the whole skin and would like to fix the
tears economically, cheaper than a new end cap.

I'm thinking TIG welding: remove the inner liner and insulation, tap and
hold the tears together and welding them closed. Has anyone tried this kind
of repair and what were the results?

Dan Dodd