Re: Aluminum Wheels/Older model Trailers

Greetings Kevin!

If you are considering new wheels purchased from Airstream dealer or
from the factory store in Jackson Center, I don't think that you
would encounter any problems. Given what I have read about and my
recent experience trying to source salvaged wheels for my '75
Eldorado, I would be VERY hesitant to consider any salvage wheel
regardless of the vehicle involved. Out of 12 salvage wheels
purchased only two were close enough to running true that they could
actually be used on my '75 Eldorado - - it was a horrible hassle to
return the eight wheels that would not run true.

Another issue to consider is that the usual recommendation is to
avoid installing load range D tires on a wheel that orginally ran
load range C - - since many of the coaches that would have had these
salvaged wheels would likely have been tandem axle - - the original
tire would have been load range C in most cases - - so if your
single axle needs load range D for adequate capacity this would be a
potential issue.

When I purchased Boyd Coddington custom wheels for my Eldorado
(aftermarket wheels of the correct offset and size were not
available from any other source), my dealer showed me several
catalogs that had sections with trailer service rated wheels - - one
of the catalogs (I believe that it was American Racing's Outlaw II
series wheel) had a trailer service rated wheel that was virtually
identical to those utilized by Airstream at one time, and the wheels
had weight ratings of up to 3,600 pounds.

My suggestion would be to contact your local custom wheel center and
ask to see their catalogs with trailer service rated wheels. You
may very well find a wheel that is very close to those originally
used by Airstream - - or maybe even another style that you would
find more appealing. When I get around to the new axles on the
Overlander in 2007, it will be treated to a set of new aluminum
wheels to compliment those on my Cadillac.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differential)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)