Re: AXLES

Greetings Susan!

While it isn't necessarily a given that every 33-year-old Airstream
will need new axles, based upon my experience, there is a very high
probability that replacement will likely be needed. My '78 Minuet
had its axle replace in 2004, and the Overlander will need new axles
before it makes its next long road trip in 2007. The best
description of the axle inspection criteria that I have run across
is posted on the Inland RV website at:

http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm

My regular Airstream dealer, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa,
handled the installation on my coach. The installed cost of the
single axle on my Minuet was approximately $1,000.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)