Re: [A/S] Backing assistance

Don
I think having to get out and look is really a factor of how much you trust
your swamper.
We use FRS radios, which are fun because there's always someone else on the
channel who can't figure out why this woman is saying "more left", "more
right", "poor dog", etc.
I believe that it is a team effort. There are times when I can't see stumps
or posts from the mirrors and the swamper saves my aluminium. However, I
still have learned not to move unless I am really certain there is nothing
to hit and have often stopped and quietly said " Could you just check the
front right corner post, as I can't see it" That second pair of eyes really
is a help.
This discussion arose out of someone watching a camper try to back into a
space. I'm inclined to agree that the less audience you have, especially if
they have dissolved into puddles of laughter, and one of them is the
driver's spouse, the better.We WATCHED one poor guy in Louisiana try to back
his trailer in without his wife's help. Absolutely refused to take any
advice from anyone, and he spent an hour (all true) going back and forth and
back and forth. Finally my wife asked his wife if I could help him. She said
"You know, he want's to do it by himself, so I'm lettin' him" The eyes
rolled back and the shoulders came up around her ears and she changed the
topic.
We have all been there, trying to get into a parking space when the turning
radius is really limited. I find, curiously enough, that if I have to cut
back to the right (as you sit in the driver's seat) that it is far easier
than backing to the left. Also I find that being closer to the side of the
road where the space is located, when I start my turn, is better than being
farther to the opposite side of the road. You need the space for the tow
vehicle to turn through. Seems contradictory, but it works.
The worst place to back into? My space in the storage compound. It's not so
much the size, it's the fear of hitting those half million dollar pushers.
Sarge
Parked in a snow drift in London Ontario Canada.