RE: [A/S] Backing assistance

Hello,
I conduct a ton on safe driver training (just yesterday matter of fact)
for truck drivers and the one rule we have about "spotters" is you don't
use them and if you do, the driver is still responsible for the backing
maneuver. I have seen many drivers use this "tool" to help them back up
that often ends up in disaster. Only the driver can tell with his/her
own eyes just where everything is when backing and then making the
necessary adjustments. In short I teach get out of the vehicle, often,
and look.

The other comment I have on backing is backing activities are the number
one cause of accidents in my industry, they don't often end in injury or
death but do cause a ton of $$$$ in losses because of property damage.
Again, most of these could be avoided by getting out (often) and
looking!

Here is the deal, I you have problems backing, don't do it. If you do
have problems backing go to the local parking lot with some cones and
practice practice practice! And then if that does not help, don't back
up. I have seen people go back to the campground office and ask for a
new spot because they can't back into the one they were provided and
most often they were accommodated, I have done this myself at times.

Its amazing how many times I have seen couples fight over this maneuver,
over the radio, screaming at each other without the radio and it often
ends with them not talking to each other the rest of the rally or trip!.
I compare this to putting the boat into or taking it out of the water, I
have seen some great domestic disputes at the boat dock!

So a lesson from the old truck driver, get out and look, over and over
again and you won't hit things and you will avoid the argument and
accident.
Ed
WBCCI/VAC 4425
68 Sovereign
59 Traveler
(8 years as an over-the-road truck driver and 25 years as a
trainer/consultant, transportation safety is my life blood!)