[A/S] Re: Question

Greetings garner76133!

I suspect that if you check the factory specifications for your
Suburban that you will find that its maximum trailer tow rating is
either 6,000 or 6,500 pounds.  Realistically, for the most satisfying
towing experience, I have found that loading the tow vehicle to no
more than 80% of its rated maximum is desirable - - that would mean
something with a gross weight of about 4,800 to 5,000 pounds.

I towed with a '95 K1500 Chevrolet Club Cab pickup (5.7 Liter/3.73
differentials) prior to my current Suburban, and it struggled on
hills of any size (even our somewhat modest hills in Southern
Illinois) when towing my '64 Overlander (26' 8", 6,100 pounds gross
weight when prepped for extended trip).  Based on my experience with
the Overlander/K1500, I wouldn't want to consider much more than a
TradeWind (24' or 25' depending upon model year).

To get an idea of what Airstreams might work for your Suburban,
trying checkin the Airstream weights and measures page at:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/
weights-1.pdf

The thing to remember about the dry weight is that it does not
include any options, fluids (water, LP gas, etc.), nor personal
possessions carried in the coach.  It doesn't take long for the
additions to have an impact - - the factory lists my '64 Overlander
as having a dry weight of 3,930 pounds, but in reality with options
the dry weight is actually 4,440 pounds; and when fully loaded for an
extended trip it tips the scales at between 6,000 and 6,100 pounds.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)