RE: 86 Excella Brake Problem

A brake would lock up, usually unbeknownst to me, and would cause a blow out
if not brought to my attention in time. Usually this happened when I was in
stop and go traffic. After taking the AS to a local truck mechanic twice
this year and spending $1000 and having just about everything replaced, a brake
kept freezing and I could see smoke coming from that tire. I was ready to
give up on my Airstream. I have to further state that I took my AS to an
Airstream dealer in mid Delaware the beginning of last year right after I
purchased the Airstream. I told them go over the entire trailer, including the
brakes, and do whatever needed to be done. They replaced a lot of stuff on the
brakes and repacked the wheel bearings and told me I should have no problems.
(I spent over $6000 in repairs including 2 panel replacements) I had a brake
freeze up on a Michigan Caravan in September and lost a tire. I then towed it
to Florida for the winter and when I brought it back north in the spring I
was near D.C. and about 30 miles from our scheduled rendezvous with a
Maintenance Rally when I had another brake freeze up. Fortunately, I was in a
traffic jam and a passing motorist stopped and told me my wheel was locked up and I
was burning rubber. I was able to back up a few feet and unlock the brake
and then pull over and change the tire which was no longer round. AT the
Maintenance Rally, the guys cut the wire to that brake so it wouldn't happen again
on my trip home (about 75 miles through back country).
I did just pull my AS 1800 miles from Delaware to Lady Lake, FL to Key West
and back to Lady Lake, Florida (near Ocala) with no problems. The AS never
pulled so well.

I don't know how Ron at SJ RV fixed the brake problem. He did tell me, but I
just don't remember. If you call him, he may remember my AS problem and
might be able to explain what he did. All I know is his is the kind of Airstream
Service center I remember when I bought my first AS back in 1970. If his
shop can't do it or he can't tell you where it can be done, maybe it just can't
be done. It was interesting looking at the Airstreams under reconstruction
in his shop, One was even being "raised" to accommodate the 7' owner. If I
hadn't accidentally found his shop, I would have gotten rid of my Airstream
and bought SOB. I look forward to meeting up with Ron and his wife at the
Region 2 Rally in the spring (Ron and his family are also Airstreamers).
Jack
WBCCI 4697