[A/S] diesel noisy - aye or nay

Hi Herb;

As a brand new diesel owner, I may be able to help you a bit with
the noise end of Fords new diesels. My F250 Superduty, Supercab, 4X4
6.0L Auto with 3.73 gearing (all that is available with the
automatic) is quite noticeably noisy when started especially on a
cold (below freezing) morning.  The most noise it makes is when
being put into gear on said cold morning for the first time, and
driving for the first five miles or so following this.  It is quite
noisy at this time.  The least noise is after warmed up, driving
down the highway.  I cannot even hear the engine over the stereo,
which I had to turn up on my last gasser to hear above the road and
engine noises, and DO NOT have to turn up with this diesel.  Both
trucks were the same cab style and trim package (XLT Supercab 4X4s)
I towed my '76 31' Stream for about five hundred miles a couple of
weeks ago, and I am never going back to a gas puller.  I bought one
of the last 2004s available in the model I wanted, as the 2005s have
gone to coil front suspension, and I wanted the leaf springs up
front.  The new 2005s however, have a brake controller option, and
it is a very impressive brake controller, and they also have a
fifteen foot tighter turning radius.  If you like coil springs up
front, then a 2005 might be a good choice.  If however you are like
me, and like leaf springs up front, then your search will be a lot
harder, to find a brand new 2004 still, as most are gone now.  I
personally cannot comment on new GM or Chrysler products as I no
longer own either one, although I have in the past, and the Dodges
were fine, and no comment on the chevs I have owned.  I was always
told by GMC owners that my problem was that I had Chevy trucks.  I
should have gotten GMs - so I went back to Fords, and have been
happy ever since.  Different strucks for different folks, right?
Good luck finding your perfect tow vehicle.  I fought it for years,
but I finally found mine.

Tom