[A/S] Re: floating floors

Steve et al-

Floating floors "float" to accommodate seasonal expansion and
contraction due to seasonal changes in moisture levels related to
humidity. Where I'm from in WI (humid summers and arid winters),
traditional nail down wood flooring would develop gaps between the
boards in the winter when the humidity is low. Since floating floors
are designed to fit snugly together and to not develop gaps, the
seasonal movement must be taken up somewhere. In a residential
application, floating floor is typically installed with a 1/2" gap
between the flooring and the wall. The baseboard then covers the gap,
and allows for some expansion and contraction below.

Since most floating floor is more stable than solid hardwood (because
it's either cross laminated like plywood or more plastic content than
wood- such as Pergo etc) it experiences less movement than wood would
anyhow.
Since our Airstreams are relatively small compared to the usual
residential space, expansion and contraction is so minimal with
floating floors I believe it's not really a consideration. So I would
say you can run it under cabinets and gauchos, etc, and not worry about
it.

I put a cork floating floor in my 31' Sovereign. The click lock tongue
and groove system was very easy to work with, but it does require some
room to assemble.  I first established a reference line down the middle
of the trailer longitudinally. I then spent some time figuring how to
best install the planks to minimize waste and cutting. I chose to start
at the front door and work across and down. I removed the gaucho, but
no other cabinetry. I screwed the gaucho back down through the cork.
The curbside wall, which was abutted by the last course of flooring,
required moulding to cover the gap left by the room needed to assemble
the tongue and groove. I chose to mill my own shoe from walnut to match
cabinetry. My entertainment center has an "S" shaped front; I trimmed
against that by laminating 1/16" strips of wood and clamping to the
cabinet to get them to take the shape.

Regards,

Chris K.
1979 Int'l Sov.
Currently writing near Aylmer, Ontario, on the way to VA via PA via
WI...