Re: [A/S] Newbie with Question about a 1971 Sovereign

Dear Michael
I have a 74 International and so far at least, I have been able to find
original or suitably acceptable substitutes for everything I have had to
repair/replace. On units this old, there is a large "has to be replaced
because it's just old" factor. Having said that, however, everytime I've had
to find something, I have been able to.
There are some items, like fridges, stoves,  furnaces etc that are not made
anymore, but there are new ones that you can reasonably substitute. A lot of
the mechanicals of an Airstream are from other applications. Eg: I had to
have brakes redone and the parts were available at the local parts supplier.
On a trailer that age, one big problem will be the electical systems. I have
had continual problems with  the 12 volt system shorting out and have become
an expert on debugging and/or finding a way to get the trailer back on the
hitch ball so I can take it to my local trailer repair. They fix away at it
and it seems OK and then it will go blank. I may have to re and re the 12
volt electrical fuse panel
If the price is right , you can spend $5000 on refitting and repair and
still be ahead of the cost of a new trailer of SOB and have more of a
trailer in the long run.
On a trailer that age, you would be part of the Vintage-era group and they
do have web sites and discussion groups that can be searched and questioned
for help on restoration.

The older the ginger, the hotter!
John & Louise Sargeant
London Ontario Canada