Re: [A/S] Hunter's Calgon Instructions

Sure Verna,

"USE WATER SOFTENER
This stuff is amazing and it works. Buy a couple of boxes of powdered water
softener at the grocery store. You'll find it located with or near the laundry
detergent products. I prefer Calgon Water Softener because it dissolves
quickly in water. Cheaper water softeners work just as well but dissolve more
slowly. Dissolve two (2) cups of the water softener in a gallon of hot water. Then,
pour the solution down the drain into the empty tank. Use two cups of softener
for each wastewater tank in your RV. The tank's drain valve should be closed
otherwise the softened water will just drain out. Then use the tank(s)
normally until it is full and drain it normally. Add a cup of laundry detergent to
the black (commode) water tank at the same time. This will help clean the
tank.The gray water tanks should already contain soap through normal use.

The water softener makes the solid waste let go from the sides of the tanks.
If you've ever taken a shower in softened water you know that after rinsing
the soap from your body your skin will feel slick. That's because all the soap
rinses away with soft water. Softened water also prevents soap scum from
sticking in the tub. Get the connection? With softened water gunk washes away
instead of sticking. The same thing applies to your RV's wastewater tanks.

I use one of those clear plastic elbow connectors to attach my sewer drain
line to the wastewater outlet on my RV. It allows me to see how well thing are
progressing during a wastewater dump. Before I began using water softener
regularly the black water tank's water was brown, the galley tank's water was
brownish, and the bathroom tank's water was white. The first time I added water
softener to the tanks the water coming from the black water tank was actually
black (not brown) and the kitchen tank's water was also black (not brownish).
The bathroom tank's water remained white. That told me that the water softener
had actually done what I had intended for it to do and made solid waste, which
had been stuck to the interior of the tanks, let go and drain away. I added
water softener to all the wastewater tanks for the next few dumps to be certain
all the solid waste possible had been cleaned away. The wastewater only appeared
black on the initial treatment. I now add water softener to each tank once
after every few dumps to maintain the system.

Occasionally, I pour a gallon of liquid bleach into each tank to sanitize and
disinfect them. I no longer use the blue toilet chemical because it isn't
necessary. I have no odors coming from my black water tank. Generic brand liquid
bleach is cheap and very effective."

Hunter

http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm