Re: [A/S] Re: Tow vehicles for 28ft.

I tow my 24ft Tradewind with a 3/4dodge standard cab long bed Cunmmins Diesel
2 wheel drive.If I wer going to replace the rig I would probaly make only one
change and that would be the extended cab. As far as 4WHD forget it I would
not be willing to pay the thousands extry for it on the remote chance that I am
going to get stuck once in awhile in the last 40 years of towing large
trailable sail boats and many miles with the AS i have been stuck once and that is
what I pay AAA for. @nd ly 4WHD cost you about 10%reduction in fuel milage so
the differance is that you can drive a 2whd 100k miles for what it would cost
for a 4WHD to go 90k miles at today's prices that is no small matter.
As far as to what make truck I would buy it would defently be a dodge the
Cummins is a well proven engine been used for years both in trucks and industeral
applicationd and gets aboute 10% better milage than eather GM or Ford.
normaly running empty I get about 21-22 mpg in local driving and about 23-25 HWY
milage depending on how lead footed I am.  I woulg never eaven consider a GM as
they have plade several jokes on me with their diesels. and the bottom line is
not in on the Duramax. I know of Cummins that have had in the excess of
450kmiles with little maintance.
I have heard a number of bad reports about thr Ford when the truck has been
realy worked.
I do hover wish tsat Dodge would use the Allison transmition The Dodge
transmition is the week link in the whole setup.
One other conserdation to think about when thinking about 4WHD is the ease or
difficulty of gitting in or out at our ahe my wlfe finds it difficuly to get
into My 2WHD Dodge.
This is My 17cents worth and I am not charging for it
Jim Smith
1965 Tradewind(The SIver Abaltross)
1992 Dodge Cummins Diesel