RE: [A/S] Tow vehicles for 32ft. & 34ft.

Hi Nancy,
I pull a 1998 34' Limited Front Kitchen with a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 HD
Crew Cab 4X4 with the Duramax / Allison Power Train. I pulled the same
trailer 60,000 miles with a 2000 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Extended Cab 6.0 L
Vortec Gas Engine before getting the new 2004 truck. I pulled the trailer
through 45 of the lower 48 states, Alaska, and 9 Canadian Provinces with the
old truck. I never lost one minute of time because of truck trouble during
the entire time I owned that truck.
I connect the truck to the trailer with a Hensley Arrow Hitch. I don't think
any other hitch on the market today can match the Hensley for towing a
10,000 pound trailer that is 34' long on the high speed highways of today. I
will probably get flamed for that statement - bring on the flame - that is
my opinion, and my life on the line as I travel. I have a Hensley Brake
Controller ($400) on the new truck, but was very happy with a Ultima 2020
Brake Controller ($140) on the old truck. I switched controllers because the
Hensley does not have as many mechanical moving parts to ware out as the
Ultima 2020. The Hensley Controller works as good as, but no better than,
the Ultima 2020 to keep the trailer behind you in my opinion. They both will
function as a controller should in making stops in a fashion that makes the
trailer / truck stop as a unit with no thumps, thuds, or jerking back and
forth under all highway conditions. Neither one of the controllers require
adjusting on a regular basis for changing conditions of any kind. I put all
those miles on my old truck, and never had to adjust the Jordan Ultima 2020
controller except when I lost the brakes on two wheels during a local trip.
The controller told me I had a problem by showing the trailer was drawing 7
amps less current than normal when the brakes were activated. I adjusted the
gain up slightly until I got a chance to find the problem - a rock had cut a
wire.
The above rigs are a true pleasure to drive. There are no "white knuckles"
and no "wondering if I will get stopped" when out on a trip with either of
the two setups. I am sure there are lots of other rig make ups out there
that will do the same, but keep in mind you need a balanced rig. If you
start out with a 34' 10,000 pound trailer, you need a tow vehicle designed
for that size trailer plus some safety margin if you want to be in charge of
the rig as you travel the high speed highways of today. These are my
opinions, and I will stick with them until something better comes along.
There is one potential improvement out there now that I would love to try
and that is "4 wheel steering". It is offered on the non HD versions of GM
trucks, but not on their serious tow vehicles yet.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624