[A/S] Re: Tow vehicles for 32ft. & 34ft.

2001 34' Airstream Limited

2002 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab/Long Bed (158" wheelbase) with 7.3L
Powerstroke Diesel, automatic, electronic shift 4WD, limited slip
differential, and power adjustable pedals.

Hensley Arrow hitch and Jordon 2020 Brake Controller.  Had the
Hensley/Masterbrake unit been out when we set it up, that's probably
the route we'd have taken.  *I* want to be in control of trailer
braking with my foot instead of having an accelerometer trying to
decide what the truck movement means and adjusting the trailer
braking after the fact.

IMHO, a diesel is the only way to go on a trailer this size.  It's
loafing along at lower rpms when even a big-block gas engine is
revved up high, and that gets on my nerves.  Driving the diesel is
much more relaxing.

The Ford diesels have a large fuel filler that can take the large
diameter high-speed nozzles at the truck islands, which are much more
roomy than the combined gas/diesel RV islands at Flying Js.  This is
important with a 57' long rig.  I also don't worry about leaving the
refrigerator running on propane at an all-diesel island.  Gasoline
produces flammable vapors at 44 degrees F below zero.  Diesel has to
be well over 100 degrees for that to happen.

The Crew Cab/Short Bed is almost as long (156"), but only has a 29
gallon fuel tank versus the long bed's 38.  The smaller tank isn't as
bad with a diesel as it would be with a gas engine because the diesel
gets better fuel mileage.

And also IMHO, a truck is the only way to go because of the things
you don't want in the passenger compartment with you, especially in
an accident.  Heavy things like generators, flamable things like
gasoline for them or an extra propane tank for boondocking.  Nasty
things like a blue tote tank.  Greasy things like a BBQ grill.
Sometimes muddy things like a patio rug, leveling blocks, chocks,
water hoses, and electrical extension cords.  You just can't beat a
truck bed for these.

The Hensley and the Pullrite hitches are the safest you can buy.
There are no other designs that eliminate the lever arm that severe
sway acts upon.  All other designs, including the Equal-I-Zer, which
is just a double friction sway control, oppose the truck turning the
trailer as much as they oppose the trailer turning the truck.  This
not only limits how much anti-sway force they can apply, but can also
create an understeer condition especially dangerous on wet roads.
Understeer is when you turn the steering wheel, the front tires slip,
and the rig continues straight instead of turning.

Airstreams do tow much better than other trailers, but make no
mistake about it... Airstreams can sway and they can roll.  One of
the members of the Airstream forum is buying a 34 that rolled just
down the road from the dealership, for a song.  He's replacing the
Reese dual-cam that was bent up in the process.  These are big, heavy
trailers and they need a big, heavy, powerful tow vehicle on the
business end, and all the care you can take to make your towing
experience uneventful.

Hope this helps,
--
Maurice