RE: [A/S] choosing tires for single axle trailor

Roy,
Just curious if the tires that failed were the pre-redesigned Marathons?
I totally concur on the "carry a spare".  I was fortunate that my Bambi
has all the factory "upgrades" including the spare.  It amazes me that
Airstream thinks a spare tire is an "upgrade", especially on a single
axle trailer.

After I had the valve stem failure, I decided to replace both tires as I
prefer to run tires of same age, even though the remaining good tire was
only a couple of years old.  What I found was in order to get tires in
the type, size and trailer rating, I was severely limited to basically
Goodyear and Carlisle.  Carlisle only offered a 6-ply rating, which was
a 4 ply actual tire in the size and rating I needed.  As getting the
spec tires on and off the '02 Bambi is a snug fit at best, I did not
want to venture into a larger tire, so I went back with Marathon S
tires.  I was surprised that Michelin, Dunlop, or one of the other name
brands did not make a tire, but we researched all the brands and it came
down to Carlisle and Goodyear.

David