[A/S] Re: choosing tires for single axle trailor

Greetings!

I have been very pleased with the Good Year Marathons that I run on
both my tandem axle Airstream Overlander International (1964), and my
single axle Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre.  There are several things that
you can do to prevent tire problems:

1.  Be sure that you have an accurate weight for your trailer when it
is fully loaded for a typical trip.  Then be sure that the tires and
wheels that you choose are at least equal to that weight; or better
yet, strive for a 20% to 30% cushion.

2.  Be sure to keep the tires properly inflated.  I carry a 12-volt
as well as a 120-volt AC compressor to inflate my tires as necessary
while on the road.  Checking and adjusting tire pressure is a part of
my pre-departure check-list.  A good quality tire pressure guage is
also a wise investment - - I purchased one from a tire store
specializing in truck tires that reads up to 120 p.s.i.

3.  Place your tires on a replacement rotation.  I have mine on a
five year cycle.  Regardless of miles, I replace the coach tires at
the beginning of the sixth season.

While these steps won't guarantee absolutely trouble free tires, it
will help.  I haven't had a tire blow out since 1980 (before I
switched to the 5-year replacement cycle); and have had only one flat
that was the result of road debris (welding rod from a bridge
construction area) - - the tire didn't go flat while on the road (it
was loosing air and was switched to the spare at the campground).

Good luck with your tire search!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)