RE: [A/S] New brake controller

Hi Ed,
The Jordon Ultima 2020 that others mentioned is an excellent proportional
controller. The word "Proportional" is the key word in the description of a
controller. It means the trailer brakes are applied at a rate proportional
to the braking force applied to the tow vehicle, and at the "same" time. I
had an Ultima 2020 on the 2000 GMC I just traded in on my 2004. I pulled the
34' Limited for about 50,000 miles with it. It was extremely smooth on
stops, and there was no need to ever touch the manual button. I used the
button the first thing in the morning to make sure everything was working
OK. There was never a need to adjust the controller for traffic or load
changes. You just hook up and drive, and you could not tell the trailer was
there when braking to a stop. The rig just stops from any speed like it
would if you were not towing the trailer.
I switched to the Hensley Controller because it has less moving parts by
eliminating the small cable and switches used by the Ultima 2020, and I knew
how smooth the old hydraulic controller I had before the advent of "anti
lock brakes". The extra hydraulic fluid moving in the line going to the
controller faked out the anti lock systems on the tow vehicle and caused
them to act badly. This prompted auto companies to void the warranty if you
installed the hydraulic controller. This new hydraulic controller on the
Hensley unit uses a hydraulic line about 6" long, and a pressure transducer
that has no moving parts that cause fluid movement. This stops any excessive
hydraulic fluid movement in the system, therefore, the anti lock brakes
don't know the controller is installed in the system. Therefore, no warranty
problems from the car companies.
I am betting $397.00 that this will work as smooth as silk. There are a
couple of things about the controller I don't like. The color of the unit
that mounts on the dash in the tow vehicle is the color of the orange part
of the Hensley Hitch - you won't miss seeing it. Secondly, there are a bunch
of control capability I do not need. The controller will control Electro
Hydraulic Brakes, and Pneumatic Hydraulic Brakes, and some other air lift
pneumatics that some rigs have. These extra features don't hurt anything if
you don't use them.
,but I am sure all this extra control capability runs up the cost. However,
this is the only version they offer at the present time. The unit is easy to
install just like the Ultima 2020. The hydraulic part requires the addition
of a "T" fitting at the discharge of the Master Cylinder for the short tube
to the transducer, and running a wire cable from the transducer to the unit
inside the cab. The unit then plugs into the factory installed wiring
harness of the tow vehicle just like other controllers.
I hope this was worth the time it took to read.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624