[A/S] Uh Oh, I think I have a problem

OK, I finally did it. I bought an Airstream. A 1978 31 footer.

I've looked at several over the last year or so and this one looked
pretty good for it's age.

No rust in the frame at the tounge like a lot that I've seen.

I banged on the belly pan, and didn't hear anything that sounded like
rust on it.

The frame didn't look too rusty where it was visible at the axles.

BUT once I had paid for it, transferred the title and went to pick it
up, the step didn't want to retract.

Annoyed, I looked up under there at the only place that I hadn't thought
to look. OH Crud!

I saw this:
http://www.strato.net/~jrdorsey/airstream/oops1.JPG

and then this:
http://www.strato.net/~jrdorsey/airstream/oops3.JPG

The track that the step rides in was completly rusted out, AND has
rusted into the frame at that point.

Now the questions I have are:
Can this be resonably fixed?
Just how much trouble do you think I'm in here?
Where in central florida can I get this sort of thing fixed right?
Does Walt do this sort of thing?