[A/S] Re: How Far . . .

Greetings Hunter and all!

My initial trips RVing were miserable because I approached them from
the mindset that I had been taught on family vacations doing the
motel thing - - "you haven't had a good travel day unless you have
covered at least 500 miles" was our family's motto when vacationing
(and it was VERY rare to stay more than one night in any one
location).  I simply wasn't enjoying the experience (this was first
in the late 1960s with a '69 SunWay truck camper and again in the
1980s with a 1980 Nomad 18' light-weight trailer).  When I finally
returned to RVing in 1995 with the purchase of my '64 Overlander, I
didn't make a trip of more than 300 miles for the frist two years.
In 1998, I traveled to the International Rally in Boise, ID.  Due to
work committments (we had nearly two weeks of snow days so our school
year was very late for Summer dissmissal), I had to push for 600+
miles per day in order to make the rendezvous date for the VAC parade
into the Rally Grounds - - I was so exhausted that I missed the first
two days of activities.  While at that Rally, I listened to the
advice of several experienced Airstreamers and adjusted my travel
routine for the return trip.

Beginning with my return trip from the International Rally in Boise,
I have made it a point to limit my travel to an absolute maximum of
300 miles unless there are extenuating circumstances.  If at all
possible, I try to stay at least two nights at each stop and take in
some of the local "color".  Since I am a Free Wheeler, I often eat
out and have had the opportunity to sample regional fare that I might
not have discovered otherwise - - such as Pastys in Southern
Wisconsin, Bierocks in Northwest Kansas, Horseshoe Sandwiches in
Central Illinois; Shoo-Fly Pie in Pennsylvania Dutch areas of
Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio; Sour Dough Bread Bowl Chili in Nevada
and California; Rivel (Potato) Soup in Southern Illinois, and of
course, Maid Rite Sandwiches (Steamburgers) in my current homebase of
Northwest Illinois.

This "slow and easy" travel style isn't for everyone.  I know that I
wouldn't be able to enjoy it if it weren't for the flexibility
afforded by my profession - - as a public school teacher, I am able
to travel extensively during most of my Summer Breaks - - one in five
Summers is generally required for continuing education at the
University.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible