[A/S] Golden domes

Greetings Listees,

Just spent the better part of two days
removing, cleaning, reinstalling, and resealing
the two skylight domes on the trailer.
The reason I'm talking about it here is that
I found the plastic around the screw heads
all cracked.  The sealing material was all that
was holding them down!

I met an Airstreamer in a campground in South
Dakota a couple of summers ago who had lost
a skylight dome on the highway and was trying
to get it covered before it started raining.  So I
check mine at least once a year.

When I checked our '94 FK they were cracked
so I replaced them with new ones (about $300
each from Airstream).  When we bought the '00
this spring I checked it too.  They were showing
some cracking at the screw heads (the factory
only uses 8 screws).  I used 14 screws each.

My point is if you have an Airstream with skylights
('94 or later I believe) better get up on the roof
  and take a good look at those screws.  You may
have to remove the caulking on top of the screws.

Don't lose your dome  B^)

Tony  KC9BTA
WBCCI  6373
'00 28' Excella