Re: [A/S] Re: Balls ? & Tires ! Hitch Angle

I have seen some suggestions recommending tilting the hitch aft about five
degrees or so. [ The top of the ball is farther aft than the base relative
to the front of the tow vehicle.]

The logic behind this is that when the weight equalizing hitch bars are
tensioned, it puts a torque on the hitch which tends to cause the hitch ball
to assume a more vertical position.  Note that this position for the hitch
ball is without the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle.

For my taste, I would try to set the hitch so that the ball is vertical, and
the top of the ball is at the 19 1/2" height from the pavement WITH THE
TRAILER HITCHED TO THE TOW VEHICLE AND THE SPRING BARS PROPERLY TENSIONED
i.e. the chassis of the tow vehicle at the same angle to the pavement as it
would be if the trailer were not hitched to the tow vehicle at all. This
way, the hitch weight is equally distributed (almost), front and rear to the
tow vehicle.  More importantly, the geometry of the tow vehicle's suspension
relative to the pavement is the same as it would be carrying  a load equal
to the hitch weight.

There are three ways to achieve this.

One is to get a bolt together hitch, which will allow you to experiment via
the "cut and try method" until you get it right.

However, if you like the welded hitch, (my preference) you can first get the
proper position via the bolt together hitch and then transfer the dimensions
(height and angle) to the welded variety prior to welding.

The third way is to go to an experienced hitch welder/installer.  They have
the expertise to position the two pieces properly (and tack weld them) prior
to making the final weld. Just tell them the ball height.

Perhaps I was lucky, but I chose the latter method and found a competent,
experienced,  hitch welder.  I was very impressed with their expertise and
understanding of what they were doing.

Getting the dimensions off an adjustable bolt together hitch is likely a
more accurate way to do the job, but a skilled hitch welder can do it quite
accurately just by eye.

Oliver Filippi