Re: [A/S] RE: Tongue weight

Tom, I just bought a new 34 LSO Ltd and was very concerned about
tongue weight.  I'd like to relate a story about my '98 34 Excella.
I bought it new and due to a backlog of work at the local RV shop,
installed the hitch receiver and brake controller on the truck
myself, using all the equipment from said RV shop.  The receiver
wasn't Reese - don't remember what brand it was.  Anyway, it was a
Class IV hitch receiver and rated for my hitch weight.

The receiver mounted to the frame of my truck by means of six (three
per side) 'ears' or bent/formed pieces to bolt up to the frame.  All
the steel was quite thick and while installing, I had no question
about its strength mainly because it was 'rated' for my weight.
(The trailer was supposed to have around 1,000 lbs tongue weight and
I knew I usually loaded it somewhat heavier than that - being a full
timer and carrying everything I owned in the trailer/truck).

Anyway, in less than 5,000 miles of towing, driving through the
hills of eastern Kentucky on Palm Sunday morning (when virtually
everyone was in church), I began hearing a 'thumping' noise in the
rear of the truck when I hit a dip in the road.  I was close to a
town, and in town, found a vacant lot with access and pulled in.  On
inspection, I found that of the six 'lugs' or 'ears' that held the
hitch receiver up to the frame, FOUR had broken off!  Only two (one
on each side) were holding the hitch receiver to the frame and the
only reason that the front of the trailer wasn't dragging on the
highway was because the torsion bars were holding it up.

A welder came to my rescue and fixed it, but I went directly (do not
pass Go and do not collect $200!) to the Camping World store nearby
and had a Class V hitch receiver installed.

Moral of the story - - The hitch receiver is often overlooked.  The
one on my new truck (after market service body)has a 1400 lb
receiver and I wanted 1500 lbs.  - - -   Yes, I have a Hensley, but
not for weight capacity, but for the outstanding control and
handling (it will add about 200 lb to the hitch weight).

And, now on my daily towing check list is to look underneath at the
hitch receiver on the truck as well as a close inspection of the
trailer hitch mounting hardware.

One other thing that occurs to me - my safety chains were attached
to the hitch receiver.  Had those last two 'ears' broken off, the
whole trailer, with the receiver, the safety chains (and the
emergency break away cable) would have gone merrily on their way.
As I think about it, I guess the safest system is to have some place
on the truck frame itself to attach the chains and the break away
cable to.  Guess I need to see to that!

Best of luck,    Lew