[A/S] Re: new owner and member

Greetings!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming and the world of '64
Overlander ownership.  I have owned my '64 Overlander International
for nearly nine (9) years, and have known the unit since it was brand
new as friends of my family owned the trailer and took me on my first
camping trip in it when it was brand new and I was five years old.

The Hehr windows used in the '64 Airstreams have long since been
discontinued.  About the only alternative for a complete window
(frame, operators, etc.) would be from a salvaged unit.  If all you
need is new glass to be placed in the frame, it is standard window
glass - - when replacing, it would probably be wise to switch to
tempered glass for greater safety.  Lexan is another alternative for
replacing broken glass - - I used this in my front window so that I
wouldn't need a rock guard as I like the see-through aspect of towing
without the front window rock guard.  The window operators, at least
as of 18-months ago were still available through my local Airstream
dealer (replaced all of mine that demonstrated any wear as a
precaution).

I had both my water heater and frunace replaced with modern units for
greater safety and economy.  While many choose to preserve the
original covers, I found them to be clumsy and unappealing so used
the fixtures that came with the new water heater and furnace.  If
your coach is like mine, it likely came with a 10-gallon water
heater.  You have the option of going back with a 10-gallon unit (be
prepared as all of my local sources indicated that this was a special
order) or a 6-gallon unit - - either of which will likely require
some modification to the opening as both are smaller in dimesnion
than the original Bowen water heater.  Additional water heater
options that you might want to consider (I wish that I had) are the
110-Volt-AC water heater element and electronic ignition.

Airstream's first year for owner's manuals was 1964, so if you didn't
get one with your Overlander they are available as photo copies of
the original documents from Secretarial Services via the following:

http://www.airstream.org/FAQ/FAQ_3.html#Manuals

If you are in the Midwest, and you are interested in the professional
services vendors that I utilized when restoring my '64 Overlander I
would be happy to share that information.  At the current time, I
would place my Overlander at about 90% restored/10% refurbished.

Just for curiousity, does your Overlander have the diamond pleated
ceiling padding in the bedroom area?  Speculation is that it was part
of the International package as well as being optional on the regular
Overlander Land Yacht.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
(Towcar In-Traning)