[A/S] Re: Towing with a car

Greetings Bill!

I have been in the process of preparing my '75 Cadillac Eldorado to
tow my '64 Overlander (less fequent basis) and my '78 Minuet 6.0
Metre (more fequent basis).  My Cadillac handles both trailers with
relative ease, but I would feel more comfortable with a little more
usable power with the Overlander.  The car has the 501 cubic inch V8,
but is limited by its final drive ratio of 2.70 which is very
difficult (but not impossible) to change - - with currently available
parts, it would be possible to achieve a final drive of 3.50, but the
price for the front wheel drive system modification is cost
prohibitive.

A Lincoln Continental from the time frame you mention should be
capable of handling the 5,800 GVW trailer so long as it has the
factory trailer tow package.  I believe that with the factory trailer
tow package, the Continental, of the model mentioned, could be
equipped to handle up to a 7,000 pound trailer - - if it is like the
Ford's of similar vintage, a part of the package included the heavier
frame found under the station wagons, higher rate (capacity) springs
and shocks, a differential ratio of 3.90 or 4.10, heavy duty
engine/transmission cooling, and usually a heavier
alternator/generator.

Potential pitfalls as you evidently have surmised will be to find a
car with the factory trailer tow package.  It would be possible to
upgrade an existing car that is in good condition (as I have done
with my Cadillac), but it can be quite difficult to source some
parts.  As an example, my Cadillac has required a custom (4-row core)
heavy duty radiator, new heavy duty Cargo Coil rear springs, heavy
duty load leveler shocks (rear), Air-Lift spring inserts (rear),
heavy duty gas-charged shocks (front), heavy duty (severe service)
starter motor, high output alternator, custom dual exhaust system
including dual catalytic converters, and a custom weld-up Reese
receiver.  Finding a welder willing to fabricate the hitch was one of
the most difficult tasks while finding a set of wheels for the car
that weren't bent or out-of-true has been the most expensive
modification.  With a Continental, you wouldn't likely face the
bent/out-of-true wheel problem as I don't think that you would be
dealing with wheels having a positive offset of 5.31" like the early
front wheel drive Eldorado/Tornado possessed.

I have been pursuing this process for more than a year now, and hope
to have the final round of modifications completed yet this fall.
Since I have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to do the work
myself, I have also had to source the professionals to perform the
work hence the protracted time-frame for completion.  I am down to
having some front suspension work (torsion bars and alignment issues)
that should have the project near completion.

What you are proposing is quite possible.(IMHO)  The down side is
that it will likely cost considerably more than you might initially
estimate.  I truly enjoy the car as a tow vehicle, especially for my
smaller Minuet - - it seems rather appropriate to have a large
vintage automobile towing the trailer as in the trailer's youth.  I
use the Reese Dual Cam Sway control system with both trailers, and
have never experience any sway when towing with the car - - the
Cadillac weighs in excess of 5,200 pounds so it isn't greatly
outweighed by the trailer -- I think that the situation would be very
similar with a '77 Continental.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin