Re: [A/S] Re: Tow vehicle for 28' Classic

We purchased a new (at the time) 1999 Safari 27 ft. Airstream because it was
within the tow limits of our existing 1995, 4WD, extended cab, short bed, 5.7
l, 3.70 rear end 1/2 ton GMC.  Our initial towing was in the middle to eastern
part of the US.  The rig did OK even over Mt. Eagle.  During the summer of
2001 we took the rig out west and quickly realized that the truck didn't have
enough capacity to tow the lighter Safari over the mountain passes at the higher
altitudes.  One thing I might add, the 1995 engine had throttle body fuel
injection.  GM switched to a true fuel injection in about 1996.  I understand the
true fuel injection has better performance at higher altitudes.

I agree with Hunter on a larger truck.  Tim Taylor (The Tool Man) had it
right when he said "Moooore power".  We now have a 2500 HD, GMC Duramax diesel
with the Allison transmission.  It does fine over the high mountain passes.

Do some research on the automatic transmissions, especially in the larger
vehicles.  Some don't seem to hold up well to hard usage over the long term.

Sam
WBCCI 12557