[A/S] Re: New vintage Airstream owner

Greetings Spritriver98!

My suggestion would be to start with a thorough assessment of the
coach in order to establish a restoration budget as well as to
prioritize the various needed projects.  I might suggest something
along the following:

1.)  Running Gear:  Assess condition of axles, brakes and bearings.
Axles on coaches of this vintage often are nearing the stage where
replacement might be necessary, and brakes/bearings may need
attention as well.

2.)  Frame:  Any vintage coach, and especially the longer coaches,
needs to be examined for three problems related to the frame/body.
First, would be to check for sag - - a prime indicator being body
damage behind the wheel well (usually described as ripples).  Second
would be to check for separation of body and frame at the rear - -
this can be identified by sitting or standing on the bumper and
noting whether the bumper moves independently of the body (any
independent movement can be cause for concern).  Third, would be to
check for excessive rust where the frame is exposed - - near axles,
at rear bumper and along "A" frame hitch - - excessive rust could
warrant further investigation through dropping underbelly.

3.)  Exterior:  Examine for issues such as windows that need
replacement, awnings that need attention, as well as other cosmetic
repairs that you may wish to consider.  Particular attention to the
door can be valuable as it is a common problem area if it has ever
blown open in transit (usually results in a water leak that causes a
soft spot in the floor in front of the door).  A less costly item,
but one that will need inspection would be the propane tanks as OPD
valves are a near necessity in most locations today.

4.)  Interior:  Examine all operating systems to determine what if
any malfunctions exists.  Focusing attention on the more expesnive
systems can prove enlightening - - including refrigerator, air
contioner, furnace, water heater, Univolt, water pump, fresh water
tank, and holding tanks.  In addition this would be the time to
assess the cosmetic restoration/refurbishment that you want to
complete.

My suggestion for a thorough examination is based upon my experience
of just jumping into my Overlander's restoration.  I ended up
spending far more than anticipated on its restoration because I
didn't do a thorough pre-restoration check-up.  Things that such a
pre-restoration check-up would have found on my coach included floor
rot and rear end separation at the rear, outrigger problems on the
frame near the entry door, a sprung entry door, worn out A & E
Awning, and failing axles in addition to the items that my informal
investigation had identified as needing replacement/attention.  Even
after my experience with the Overlander's restoration, I wouldn't
consider going back - - the coach has met my every expectation - -
and the icing on the cake was when I discovered that it was the same
coach that friends who took me on my first camping trip had just
purchased new before the trip in 1964.

Good luck with your project!  The experience can be rewarding,
especially when going into the project with a plan.

Kevin