Re: [A/S] trailer registration

I've been told that the police ask for your registration not because they
need to see it, but because by invoking their prerogative to see it they
get you to open your glove box or console -- something you can't be
compelled to do without a search warrant otherwise. If something incriminating
is seen by police, after you have opened the glove box door yourself, they
then have "probable cause" to make an arrest.

I'm not sure whether this is the case for certain, but it sounds plausible.

Jeff S.