Size of A/S - 25' or 29' ?

We use a 22' Airstream for summertime cross country trips of up to three
months at a time and a 32' Airstream for a more leisure travel style during
the other nine months of the year. That doesn't parallel your situation, but
I mention it for perpective.

"Why two Airstreams?"

Sandie and I like our smaller Airstream for returning to places we started
exploring 45 years ago when we "vacationed" three months each summer.
During those early years we first started with a big tent (without kids),
then changed to a tent trailer (with kids) and then a small travel trailer.
Our 1967 22' Airstream is comfortable for summertime hopscotching the
continent, i.e. following the Oregon Trail from Missiouri to Oregon,
traveling with the Vintage Airstream Caravan in the Sawtooth Mountains of
Idaho. Plus, we like a change in living accomodations once or twice a year.

The 22' size is more than adequate for mild weather and occasional inside
bouts with cold or rainy weather. "Ease of pulling, manuvering in camp
grounds, turning, etc., and livability (comfort and roominess)" are a "piece
of cake" with the 22' Airstream. We tow it with either our 1975 Mercury
Station Wagon (460 V8) or our 1987 Suburban (6.2 L diesel). Both have the
factory trailer towing packages which I've upgraded substantially.

We like our larger Airstream for exploring southern states (USA & Mexico)
nine months+- each winter. Before we bought our larger Airstream, we had
experienced life in a 27' Airstream during a long summer in Alaska and knew
a 27 footer was tight for us, especially after we had 3" of snow in August
on the continental divide. During that trip, it became lucidly clear that
if snow, cold and rainy weather required extended time for inside
activities, it would have been more enjoyable if we'd had sufficient space
to spread out our individual hobbies and crafts - simultaneously. The same
thing occurred 2-3 winters ago when we were "iced-in" south of Santa Fe.

As a result, we've found that a 32' Airstream has been about the right size
for us. Again for perspective, Sandie and I are somewhat less than average
size people and together weigh less than 250 pounds. That can be a
non-negotiable factor to consider when maneuvering our bodies in a small
living space. In one of our previous Airstreams, my elbows would bump the
closet door latches whenever I walked by them. <ouch> I quickly learned to
tuck-in my elbows. Also, crutches are a consideration.

You asked for input. If we were starting out as recent retirees with the
choice of a 27' or 29' and knowing what we know now about the lifestyle
we've adopted, I'd pick the 29' Airstream and use a 3/4 ton Van as tow
vehicle.

Then, later on when we were in the mood for a change, I'd trade to a 32'
Airstream. From direct personal experience, "Ease of pulling, manuvering in
camp grounds, turning, etc., and livability (comfort and roominess)"
throughout the USA and most of Mexico is a "piece of cake" with our 32'
Airstream and 3/4 ton 1978 Ford E-250 Van (with 460 V8 and factory trailer
towing package) equipped with running boards.

Backing up our 32' Airstream is a simple matter of fact event. I do it by
putting my left foot on the running board facing the Airstream, holding the
door with my left hand, gripping the steering wheel with my right hand and
using my right foot for brake or fuel. Maneuvering back out of a curvy dead
end road (worst case scenerio) is no more difficult than doing a slow waltz
where each step is made smoothly and gracefully.

On one occasion in Florida at a Taco Bell MAZE-TYPE parking lot, I backed
out this way to the cheers of a construction crew next door who watched me
"thread the needle" backwards. If I can do it, anyone can. Standing on the
running board makes the job as easy as it looks.

As for getting into awkward campsites, they are easily recognized -
regardless of whether we're using our 22' or 32' Airstream. During the last
5,000 plus nights (14 years +-), I've found maneuvering in a campground or
being unable to stay in a campground because our trailer was too long has
not been an issue. I'm sure Sandie would have remembered if it had been. We
have stayed at hundreds of National Park and National Forest Campgrounds
where the length limit is often considerably shorter than our 32' Airstream.

On a different topic. You didn't ask but I'd suggest buying a couple of
solar panels and a small inverter to keep your cell phone and laptop
batteries fully charged while "parked" at non-traditional places for a day
or two (and using all your Airstream's "self-contained" features). If you
have any inclination to let serendipity pick your overnight parking place,
solar panels can be icing on the cake along with the unexpectedly delightful
parking spot.

Yes, you'll hear some RVers (non solar panel owners) authoritatively assert
that solar panels don't work on cloudy days. I say, "Rubbish." We've had
them on our various trailers for 20 years and know for a fact, they work
every day there is a sunrise - AND - there is ALWAYS sufficient power (rain
or shine, snow, sleet or hail) to recharge our cell phone and laptop
batteries. Of course, the amount of sunlight each day means we vary our
usage pattern (http://www.rvsolarelectric.com) based on how quickly we
expect our batteries to be recharged. If you'd like to read about more of
our experiences with solar, see Tom's archives (over 50,000 pages) on solar
power. Go to http://www.tompatterson.com and use HIS google search with
keywords: tylerbears solar.

Maybe some of this will help,

Terry