[A/S] Another A/C question

I have a '69 Overlander with a newer Coleman Mach 3 roof air unit.  It went out
yesterday.  When I switch over to A/C there isn't any hint of the compressor
trying to kick-in at all.  The fan is all that is working.

I talked to a local RV repair shop that is authorized to repair/sell Coleman.
They said the compressor is probably "cooked" because I was using an extension
cord.  I question whether this is the case, since I used the roof air with this
heavy RV cord all last summer with no problems.  The service guy said I had
probably just "lucked out" last summer.

Do you think I should bother trying a new relay board ($85) and/or thermostat,
or just get a new unit?

If I do get a new A/C, would one of the newer models with a lower amp draw, like
the Coleman Mach III Power Saver, be less prone to damage when used with an RV
extension cord?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Stoecker