Re: [A/S] Airstream size comparison

Hollis - in my opinion, the '72 Overlander 27' (tandem axle) i had some
years back was the best combination of towablility/liveability (i was living
in it, full-time). This, however, was built during the infamous 'Beatrice
years' (Beatrice Foods had acquired Airstream) which coincided with the
addition of a gray-water tank aft of the axles... which sometimes caused
'rear-end-sag' if the owner made a habit of towing the trailer with full
graywater/blackwater tanks... Airstream had (still has?) an oem kit to
reinforce the frame where it would separate. the tail-droop can be seen in a
buckling of the skin panels behind the wheel wells, and a floppy rear-bumper
compartment. I don't remember what the dry weight of the trailer was, but it
could be easily towed behind a contemporary (1970's) full-sized sedan with a
load-distributing hitch, good brake controller, transmission cooler, etc.

Before that, i'd full-timed in a 1965 20' globetrotter, traveling across the
country with my two cats... and a girlfriend, for a few months. I settled in
santa monica and lived in it in one spot for a couple of years more, and i'd
completely adapted to it. The overlander was a whole lot more liveable,
though.

tuna
reno, nv