[A/S] brakes and shocks

I have a 1999 Suburban and back last September I had the brakes and shocks
replaced. The work was done at, one of the multi location brake shops that
have been in business here in Houston for years.The entire job is guaranteed
for life, with free inspections when ever I want one. Before I left on my
trip to Colorado in April. I took the truck in just to get an inspection.
After it was up on the rack they told me that there was excessive wear on
both the front and rear bakes and that I should take advantage of my
lifetime warranty and let them replace the pads, kits and turn the rear
drums and the labor cost would only be $130.  I went ahead and had the work
done. The man said that I would really get my moneys worth out of the
lifetime warranty since I should have the brakes inspected often and then
replace them as needed. He also said that the same thing applied to the
shocks. .

Now I am beginning to wonder. Are these places just putting cheap pads and
parts on that wear out quickly and then making more money as they have to
replace the pads and charge labor costs. Or did the pads really need to be
replaced.