Re: [A/S] Tongue mounted genset (aux. golf cart batteries in truck)

No pics - sorry. Just get one of the $15 heavy-duty charge relays (looks
like a starter switch) from RV store, use either welding cable or thick
booster cable for wire, get a small $15 fusebox with 2 ckts (meant for 220V
air conditioner remote fuse/disconnect box. You pull out the fuse block for
emergency disconnect). Parallel two 60 amp fuses to provide 120 amp 12 v
service.

Find an inverter (I got a used commercial-duty one at an electronics
fleamarket years ago for $75. You can do better now with a new one).  It
connects between the charge relay and the fuse/disconnect box. Provide for
your AC outlets and remote control as necessary. Rig up spray shields from
1/4 plywood. There are many places underneath to bolt things to - just look
around. Be sure you can get at the battery emergency disconnect quickly
from the wheel opening.

To attach the battery box, I drilled two 5/8 holes in the truck bed far
enough apart to support the batteries, made a box from wood and steel to
contain the batteries (took lots of careful measuring and thinking).
Probably the toughest part was actually raising the heavy 2batteriesplusbox
into place - I used my "floor jack" (conventional car jack on wheels you
see at a car service bay) to position it from below just forward of the
passenger rear wheel, then used long bolts made from 1/2 inch threaded bar
through the bed and down to hold it up. BIG washers topside. It actually
extends about 2 inches below the truck, just barely shows. Paint it black
and nobody sees it.

It has all survived for more than two years and about 30,000 miles
(including my '01 trip to Alaska and back). Only downside I can see is that
it is impossible to check battery water. When I put it in I just decided to
let it run as long as the batteries worked OK, then simply replace them
if/when they failed. No water. So far, they have worked OK. When I get it
out this weekend I will see how the water level held up.

Jerry 4404