[A/S] Travel days calculation

Hi Lane,

Everyone is different. You've already recognized that from reading the posts
on this topic.  When my wife and I were younger, we thrived on marathon
runs. Then, we had kids and marathon runs became a thing of the past. Now,
we're not only more leisurely with each traveling day, we're often downright
blase` about it and will stop to explore at the slightest interest.

As you've probably guessed, we calculate travel days in terms of hours per
day, not miles.  Everyday, we like to decide when to leave based on the
weather and how we happen to feel about the upcoming sights we want to see.
We like arriving and having time to unwind, to figure out the next day's
schedule, to play tourist a little - or a lot if we're inclined, to do some
shopping occasionally, to watch an hour or so of TV, to collect and send our
email, to visit with other RVers in the campground,  to make a few phone
calls to our kids, to play with our pets, to take in a pot luck supper now
and then, to work on our hobbies, etc., etc.  -  You get the idea.

While rolling down the highway, our speedometer needle is usually pegged on
the posted limit, but the actual amount of time it takes us to travel a
specific number of miles has little or no relationship to that.  We've had
days when it has taken us 4 hours to travel 100 miles. Other days, when we
didn't do our homework to identify sights to see or when we were in old
stomping grounds, it has taken us 2 hours to travel 100 miles.

After re-reading your question, I'm reminded of something my parents drilled
in to us kids (or beat in - or drummed in).  Each week, we had to articulate
our long and short term goals and then use "If - Then" statements to show
how we planned to accomplish them. Those "discussions" seemed like a waste
of time - especially during my teenage years. Funny thing happened along the
way. I began using that process without even thinking about it. It certainly
helped me to consider a truck load of variables when I wanted to get things
done to my satisfaction.

Enough chit chat,

Terry