Re: [A/S] Jerry finally bought a new truck

Jerry,
 The "different prices" for Diesel fuel is because of the way states collect
the taxes. Here in Michigan, commercial trucks aren't charged the state road
tax at the pump, they send in their tax money with forms on a quarterly
basis. The reason for this is that, with their large tanks, trucks don't
necessarily burn all the fuel they just purchased in the state where they
bought it.

For instance, we're quite close to the Ohio line. If Ohio has cheaper fuel,
any truck that's going N/S would either fill up just before entering MI, or
just as they leave, leaving MI with no tax revenue from those trucks.
They've come up with the above scheme to prevent such shenanigans. They buy
their fuel wherever, but pay the tax in the state where they actually burnt
it.

Buying the fuel w/o paying the tax at the pump requires a special permit.
Having the permit means that they WILL file the forms and send in the tax.

You probably can't get the permit, even if you wanted to. And, you don't
want to, because you don't want to fool with the paperwork.

I might not be 100% on the above, but that's close.

                                                           <<Jim>>